10.11.2009

cooking marathon!! day two.

well, day two didn't go as well as i hoped as i was knocked out by a migraine. however, i did get a good bit done. what never ceases to amaze me is how much i can cook in so little time with about the same amount of effort as making dinner! so per becky's request, here is a breakdown of what i did with details added. :)

1. Cooked my chicken. I took four packages of chicken breasts and put them in a big pot of boiling water with some celery and onions for about 25 minutes.
2. While the chicken was cooking, I put my cooked beans in the crockpot with all the other ingredients to make refried beans.


3. Then, I assembled my big bowl of veggies (one bag frozen peas, two cans of corn, one bag of frozen green beans and some chopped carrots) and got out four gallon sized bags which I labeled (8x8 chicken pot pie 10/2009).
4. By this time, the chicken was done. I pulled out my food processor and chopped up the chicken the same way that you would slice a cucumber with the food processor. I LOVE this method of "shredding/chopping" chicken as it is fast!
5. Assembly of the pot pie filling was next. I mixed the broth, cream of chicken and chicken. Then I used my measuring 2 cup and put in the veggies and chicken into each bag. I actually mixed them together in the bag with it sealed. I let all the air out and stack them flat. When they sit in my freezer, I will actually store them upright like files (once they are frozen) so that I can easily flip through and see what I have.


6. I assembled the poppyseed chicken casseroles next in pretty much the same manor as the pot pies.

So at this point, I had 8 square casseroles made and frozen and two bags of 2 cups shredded chicken plus a bag of celery that I had flash frozen and bagged for later. Not to shabby for a little less than two hours of work.

Insert nap.

My beans were done cooking, out came the food processor from the dishwasher (man, got to love that invention!) and within minutes, I had 16 cups of refried beans (see earlier post about my underestimation of how much beans you can make with six lbs of beans!)


Last but not least, I assembled the super delicious brown bag burritos. The only thing I change in this recipe is that I use about 1/3 cup of the mixture per burrito instead of her recommended 1/4 cup. We love these burritos!


Thus ended the second day of cooking. I just found out that my Bible Study for tomorrow morning has been canceled. So, I just might get the rest of my list finished tomorrow! I'll let you know if I do. Plus, major thanks to my Jon who helped occupy the girls for the second half of my cooking day and who washed more than one pot for me in the last few days. Thanks babe!

4 comments:

BKicklighter said...

Are you freezing the refried beans? Do those freeze? What will you use them for besides burritos?

amy said...

i have read on-line that they do freeze well. we LOVE refried beans around here. the girls will eat them with chips for a meal. i make a scrumptous bean dip with them and i'll also make some just plain bean burritos with cheese for the girls as they prefer those over the brown bag burritos. mmmm, beans. ha!

lubee said...

that's the recipe for refried beans that i was talking about ages ago. ^_^ i LOVE putting them in the crockpot before bed and waking up to the smell of delicious beans.

yeah.. i'm a little odd. :P

anywho, i dunno if you prepared the recipe exactly as it said, but i use jarred, sliced jalapeno peppers instead of fresh. (it's easier to keep on hand.) i put about 5 slices in and that's enough heat for me. ^_^

amy said...

lubee, funny that i didn't clue in on that. always one step ahead of me sis! i didn't add any jalapenos as we didn't have any. :) i'll keep that tidbit on hand for the next time though.

loveyou!

 
Clicky Web Analytics