1.01.2009

clean up, clean up, everybody, everywhere...

there is something about this time of year that makes me want to clean, eliminate clutter and organize (which includes LOTS of rearranging).  apparently, i am not alone.  however, julia was not so excited about my putting away the christmas decorations...
and i am stuck.  my brain loves to figure out creative storage solutions that actually work for me and for my fam, but i have come across an organizing dilemma-that feels like way to strong of a word for something that is merely organizational in nature.  nevertheless, i can't figure out how to store the girls puzzles and games.  a bookshelf seems like the obvious answer, but julia is at that stage where everything in sight gets pulled out and taken apart.  nightmare.  we have this shelving system from ikea which i adore and highly recommend.  however, it doesn't hold the bigger, oddly shaped puzzles.  hmmmm....

4 comments:

BKicklighter said...

We have the SAME dilemma but no cool system or nearby Ikea (drat). I used these organizing bags to bring some order and LOVE them. They are a bit pricey, in my opinion, but they are good quality and WORK. The lady who sells them used to make them herself but then started the business so I BET you could sew them . . you are sooo crafty :)
http://lazyorganizer.com/bags/ Let me know what you think.

Sara said...

I don't know how much you have to store, but what about those under the bed storage containers? they are usually long and rectangular but flatter than boxes. You could maybe fit it under that couch in the playroom. Just a thought. Loved seeing y'all! Wish it could have been longer!

Amy Ellen said...

We decided we had to take an entire shelf of the linen closet for games and toys. This kept the items accessible, but not totally within reach of the littlest ones : ) Only drawback: I had to thin out the linens and things... but that was probably a good thing too.

Jaime said...

I have found, at school and home, that storing the puzzle pieces in a drawstring bag (SOOOOOOO easy to make, of course), and then placing the bags and the frames (puzzle bottoms) in a bin similar to the one you pictured, has worked well. I have started using "wonder under" webbing and muslin to create a small tag inside the bag to make a puzzle label that matches the label on the back of the frame. If they are more complicated puzzles, i cut out the cardboard picture from the box cover and put it in the bag with the pieces. I'll try to remember to take a picture and send it. This all sounds really complicated as I type it out, but it is actually super easy! Drawstring bags work well in game boxes, too. We just stack those on cube shelves/bookshelves we bought at Target (again, I'll try to send you a picture). I WANT TO SEE YOU!

 
Clicky Web Analytics