8.22.2008

belated thrifty thursday-saving to give

i just watched this video of buddy from my church, grace.  as i watched him share about how there are people in my community, kids in my community, with nothing to eat, i looked over at my shelf.  where all of my deals reside  (aka 6 boxes of honey nut cheerios that won't fit in my cabinet that holds 15+ boxes of cereal).  i was thinking earlier today that i have more shampoo than our family could probably use in a year--most of which i got for free.  so, we are going to do a clean sweep of our house tonight.  and some of our stockpile will go for those who have nothing at all.  

i'm not saying this to boast.  good grief, i forget that there are those in need all the stinkin' time.  however, i wanted to encourage in all of this, you might see a great deal on something like skippy peanut butter and think, "we wouldn't use that in our family.  we're jif people."  but get it anyway.  and then give it away.

isn't that the real point of saving?  so that we have more to give...i need to remember that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clint and I have tried to do that before and none of the food banks near us would take the food. They wanted money instead. I don't want to discourage anyone. I would just say to find a place that may take your good deals before you buy extra. We did buy some extra toys when Target put them 75% off so we could put them in donation boxes this Christmas.
Have fun cleaning.
Elise

 
Clicky Web Analytics