7.10.2008

thrifty thursday part 7-book bargains

okay, for those of you who don't know me, i love to read. love it. i used to buy books constantly--thus our well stocked bookshelf covering one wall of our living room.

however, in the past few years, buying every book i want to read is no longer practical or economical. heck, it's not really an option. so here's how i'm saving some cash on books.

1. the library. now every system is different, i know, but ours is fabulous. we can request books on-line. then i get an e-mail when the book i want has come in. also, any book i want that my library doesn't have, i can request easily on-line using the interlibrary loan request form. and it's all free. way to go tax dollars!

2. if there is a book that i want to own, i go to paperback swap. such a great concept. you request books from other members. they request books that you have listed. for every book you ship out, you get a credit. for every book you receive, you use a credit. so, on average, i'm spending about $2.50 per book (the cost of shipping). i have loved this for often checked out library books for the girls, books for me that i know i will want to reread and cookbooks. they have a great selection.

3. my third stop if i need something immediately for my own collection is this website. it searches the web and gives me the prices of books plus shipping for both new and used books. i also check out half.com. sometimes they aren't listed in the comparisons.

so how do you save money on books, cds or music?

4 comments:

Elizabeth Dark Wiley said...

Amen to libraries, I love them. I've argued that they are one of the best things going in our society. And if you're intrigued by how they came to be, and what they've done for us over the years, you might enjoy the book, Library: An Unquiet History by Matthew Battles. Not really what I'd call a page turner, but really informative, and will help you appreciate what we got going on in our public library system a whole lot more.....and I'm NOT a nerd....ok, I'm not the bad kind of nerd.

Angie Davis said...

yes, me too - love to read, and love the library. especially these days when i would just rather spend extra money elsewhere. so glad to know too about paperback.com - thanks.

oh, and i love your header! did you do it or someone else?

amy said...

liz, you are a nerd...but we love you! :)

and angie, my husband will be very excited to hear that you love the header. he did it for me one night. thanks!

Elizabeth Dark Wiley said...

Amy.

try betterworldbooks.com. Books are cheap and the selection is grand. And, the proceeds go to literary education around the world.

Brett

 
Clicky Web Analytics