7.02.2011

the call

january 20th, 2011. it was not an ordinary day. oh no.

the day started crazy. it was school day, and so we were doing school. but before we could get started a dear friend called to tell us that becka mullennix, a precious lady from our old church, had died. we had worked with her, been loved by her. she was young. it came out of nowhere. so the morning was spent grieving with old friends via phone. attempting some school between calls.

that afternoon i had an appointment with a friend. it was important, and i couldn't miss it. so, at the last possible moment (because i'd been on the phone and doing school all day), i went to hop in the shower. i mean, i had less than enough time to get ready at this point. and the phone rang.

it was christie, our caseworker. i didn't think a thing of it. she prepped me that she had news. i asked if she was going to take me on another unnecessary roller coaster ride (see possibilities one and two)--and no, i'm not always the nicest person. and she told me that yes, she was going to take me on one, but that it was very necessary. i sat down, right where i am now at my computer desk, and listened.

she shared the birthmother's story. she told me that she was having a boy. she shared all the parts that made it messy (which for the sake of honoring Benjamin-this is his story after all-i'm going to stay mum about). she asked me what i thought. and i sat and shook.

oh, and did i mention where jon was on this day? he was down in the basement of a mall working. he had called me earlier in the day before everything hit to tell me that he would have no phone service all day. so, here i am with this world rocking news, and i can't get in touch with my husband. mercy!

so after a few frantic calls, a quick shower, crazy prayers and a five minute briefing with my husband while he was in the car on his way to switch off with me at home, i left for my appointment. i knew in my heart of hearts that this was the one. this was where we were supposed to be.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics